How to Replace an EPA Card

Growth Trends for Related Jobs

Under the Section 608 of the Clean Air Act, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA, has issued regulations to minimize the the emissions of refrigerants. Those working with refrigerants are required to obtain certification through the EPA, the agency responsible for the issue of refrigeration certification in the United States. While a certification card is required to be kept on hard by those in the industry, sometimes cards get lost. If this happens, the EPA requires that the card be replaced.

Visit the "Section 608 Technician Certification Programs" page of the Ozone Layer Protection website (see Resources) and search for the organization that issued you your certification. If the organization is still operational, visit its office to obtain a copy of your EPA Card. Organizations are required to keep records of the people they issue cards to. If the organization is no longer operational, you will need to find an alternative method to replace your card.

Send a copy of your lost EPA card, as well as original documentation from the testing agency that you completed your Section 608 Technician Certification exam with, to one of the organizations listed on the "Certifying Organizations That Will Replace Cards" page (see Resources). If you or your employer has a copy of your lost card, you will be able to complete this step. An agency from the list will issue you a replacement card and keep a record of your certification on file. If you need additional information on obtaining a replacement card from one of these organizations, contact them by phone. The Web page has a list of each organization's contact phone number.

Complete the "Assistance with Obtaining a Replacement Card form" from the Ozone Layer Protection website (see Resources) if you do not have existing documentation of your Section 608 Technician Certification exam and a photocopy of your lost EPA card. This form can be completed if the record of your certification is on file with the Environmental Protection Agency. The form is in PDF format, so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer to view it. Access to a printer is also required. After completing the form, mail it to the EPA at the following address:

Environmental Protection Agency Stratospheric Protection Division Mail Code (6205-J) 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20460

Alternatively, the form may be faxed to (202) 343-2338.


If you can't provide proof of your EPA certification, or your information is not on file with the Environmental Protection Agency, you will not be able to obtain a copy of your lost card. You will be required to retake the Section 608 certification test to receive an EPA card.