Growth Trends for Related Jobs

How to Become a Gun Broker

While buying firearms through the Internet has become commonplace, the seller cannot just send a firearm directly to a customer. The transfer of a firearm requires a federally licensed dealer to broker the transaction. Gun brokers accept the shipment of the weapon, and legally transfer the gun to the customer. Gun brokers usually charge a fee of between $35 and $50 for their services. No special training or facilities are required to become a gun broker; it’s a business you can do right out of your house.

File a “Doing Business As” (DBA) form with your local county to establish yourself as a business entity. A DBA allows you to do business under an assumed name (for instance, “Al’s Gun World”). A DBA is also required to establish a business bank account. Setting up a bank account is not required, but it is recommended.

Submit an application to the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms for a federal firearms license (FFL). An FFL application will be sent directly to you by request from the Form Distribution Center at 301-583-4696. Applications are generally processed within 60 days. Once you have your FFL, you can begin to broker gun deals. The particulars of transferring a weapon will be explained to you by the ATF upon issuance of your FFL.

Contact your state’s revenue and taxation department and apply for a state sales certificate. A sales certificate authorizes you to collect sales tax on goods and services (which, in turn, must be paid to the state). Tax laws vary from state to state, so check with your state government for more information.


Peter Timm has been writing since 2002 for both print and online publications. Timm earned a Bachelor of Arts from the New York Institute of Technology in 2008 and emerged a technically astute writer.