Growth Trends for Related Jobs
Typography consists of the intricate design of typefaces or fonts. A branch of graphic design, typography is an art focusing on the character of letters. From the logo of an international airline to the label on a candy bar, a typographer is responsible for the font used to express the image of that brand. Discover how you can break into the world of typography and the pay you can expect within your region.
Become a typographer by first learning the craft of typography. This is best done by enrolling in a design school. Design schools may be private institutions or may be within community colleges or state colleges. Your major will be graphic design, as typography is a specified field within graphic design. Studies may include the history of type, the technical terms within type, what makes a great typeface, and how to create a typeface. In learning how to design a font, artistic capabilities and a knowledge of computer design programs for typefaces may come in handy.
According to the American Institute of Graphic Arts, reported by the Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS), an entry-level graphic designer could expect a salary of $35,000, a staff-level, $45,000, and a senior designer an average salary of $60,000 in 2008. Freelance designers working under contract made a median salary of $57,000. The graphic designer in partnership or ownership of her own company could make $95,000. The BLS specifies that a graphic designer specializing in a design service like typography could bring home an average salary of $45,000.
In Los Angeles, a typographer averages a salary of $53,000 in 2011, according to Simply Hired. A typographer in Chicago averages $52,000. In Dallas, a typographer will take home an average salary of $48,000 -- lowest in the West.
A typographer in the Southeast -- Nashville, Tennessee, for instance -- can expect to make an average salary of $45,000 in 2011. In New York City, a typographer will make an average income of $58,000.
- Simply Hired: Average Graphic Designer Typography Salaries in Chicago, IL
- Simply Hired: Average Graphic Designer Typography Salaries in Dallas, TX
- Simply Hired: Average Graphic Designer Typography Salaries in Los Angeles, CA
- Simply Hired: Average Graphic Designer Typography Salaries in Nashville, TN
- Simply Hired: Average Graphic Designer Typography Salaries in New York City, NY
- Wall Street Journal; “A Font Designer’s Growth Curve: Typeface Creator Drew Inspiration From a Surrealist”; Dennis Nishi
- Medioimages/Photodisc/Valueline/Getty Images