Growth Trends for Related Jobs

How to File a Complaint With the Colorado Labor Board

careertrend article image

The Colorado Labor Board, also known as the Division of Labor, assists employees working in the state of Colorado with complaints over compensation, labor practices and violations of youth labor laws. To file a complaint with the Colorado Labor Board, you must follow the agency's formal complaint process.

Open your Web browser and navigate to the website. Click “Complaint Forms.” If you prefer to fill out a paper form, click “Print Form” in the right corner to generate a paper copy. Otherwise, complete the online form.

Read the outline that explains the "Request for Mediation" process and how the Labor Board can and cannot help you. For instance, the agency does not help government employees, solve tax matters, focus on dress codes or deal with independent contractors. Make sure your complaint meets the criteria for an actionable complaint before submitting your form.

Read through all of the terms and conditions of the online form and click “I Agree” at the bottom of the page.

Enter your contact information, including your first and last name, address, home and work phone number and email address.

Provide the contact information of the business or employer involved in the claim. Be sure to include your supervisor’s name and the employer's address and telephone number.

Choose the type of claim you are filing, such as commission, vacation, salary, wages, deductions, overtime or another area of dispute.

Specify what your position was (or is) with the employer, including the dates you worked for the employer, whether you continue to work there, the reason for the separation, the amount of pay you were receiving, the amount you are claiming, and how you arrived at this amount.

Answer the questions regarding payment at the time of separation, check stubs, uniforms, property owned by the employer still in your possession, pay advances and any additional comments or questions.

Review your complaint for accuracy and completeness. Then, click “Submit” to send your complaint.


Renee Claire is a registered nurse with more than 20 years of experience and a specific interest in families. She graduated from Waubonsee College in Illinois in 1986 with a degree in nursing and from the University of St. Francis in Illinois with a bachelor's degree in health arts. She began writing online professionally in 2009.

Photo Credits