Growth Trends for Related Jobs

How to File a Complaint With the Texas Workforce Commission

careertrend article image

The Texas Workforce Commission oversees and provides workforce services to Texas residents and enforces the Texas Commission on Human Rights Act. If you believe you have been discriminated against due to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age or disability, the TWC may investigate your claim. The TWC also enforces the Texas Fair Housing Act and investigates discriminatory housing practices and wage disputes. Disputed wage claims were formerly directed to the Texas Labor Board until 1990, when the name was officially changed to the Texas Workforce Commission. Claims can be filed in person or by mail.

Go in person to the Texas Workforce Commission office at 1117 Trinity St., Room 144T, Austin, Texas, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to file an employment discrimination complaint or a housing discrimination complaint. An investigator will meet with you to discuss your complaint and assist you with preparing the paperwork.

Call the Texas Workforce Commission office at 512-463-2642 or 888-452-4778. An investigator will inform you of what is required to file a complaint and will also assist you in preparing the complaint.

Write to the Texas Workforce Commission at Civil Rights Division, 1117 Trinity St., Room 144-T, Austin, TX 78701 to file a housing discrimination complaint. Include the nature of your complaint and your contact information. The completed claim form must be signed and sworn before a notary public or a TWC representative.

Go to the Texas Workforce Commission website and access the intake questionnaire instructions for filing an employment discrimination complaint. Complete the intake questionnaire. Take the completed questionnaire to a notary public for notarization. Sign the notarized questionnaire and mail it to the Texas Workforce Commission at 101 East 15th St, # 144T, Austin, TX 78778-0001. Be sure to keep a copy for your records.

File a wage claim by mailing Form LL-1: Wage Claim to Texas Workforce Commission Labor Law Section, 101 East 15th Street, Room 124T, Austin, TX 78778-0001. Fax a completed wage claim form to 512-475-3025. Forms can be accessed on the TWC website.


The Texas Workforce Commission files complaints received with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. It is not necessary for you to file with both the state and federal agencies.

When contacting the Texas Workforce Commission in person or by phone, you will be required to provide the investigator with the employer's name, address, telephone number, and number of employees. You will also need to provide the investigator with the employer's name, address (to include county), telephone number, number of employees and other specific information regarding your complaint.

When you file a charge of employment discrimination, specific information about your employment experiences will be required.


Complaints must be filed within 180 days from the date of the alleged violation.


Mona Culberson began working on the assembly line at a large manufacturing company in 1983, where she worked her way up into several positions of business responsibility. In 2005, she began a career in roofing, interior design and remodeling. She works daily as a professional painter/home remodeler/handywoman while lending her husband's roofing business a helping hand in her spare time.

Photo Credits