Growth Trends for Related Jobs

How to Obtain a TWIC Card

careertrend article image
36clicks/iStock/Getty Images

The Transportation Worker Identification Credential is required of all personnel who need unescorted access to areas defined by the Maritime Transportation Security Act as “secure,” such as regulated vessels and facilities. This includes, for example, mariners with Coast Guard credentials, longshoremen, port facility workers and truck drivers.

Obtaining Enrollment Information and Services

You can find resources and information on TWIC on the official TWIC website and by contacting the Universal Enrollment Center Help Desk at 1-855 DHS-UES1, available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern time. You are encouraged to apply at least 10 to 12 weeks before you are required to have your card, to avoid any delays in beginning your employment.

Enrollment Fee

As of February 2015, the TWIC fee is $128. You can make the payment with a certified or cashier’s check, money order or credit card. Personal checks and cash are not accepted. Make money orders or checks payable to “MorphoTrustUSA,” and make sure it's for the exact amount of $128. Be prepared because payment is expected right at the beginning of the application process.

Enrollment Documentation

As of July 1, 2015, TWIC applicants must provide appropriate documentation that they were born in the United states and are citizens. Acceptable proof includes an unexpired U.S. passport (book or card), or any of the following if citizenship is indicated on the card: unexpired U.S. Enhanced Driver’s License, unexpired Enhanced Tribal Card, unexpired Free and Secure Trade Card, unexpired NEXUS Card, unexpired Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection and unexpired Global Entry Card.

If the above is not available, any of the following with a government-issued photo ID is acceptable proof of citizenship: original or certified copy of birth certificate bearing an official seal, U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or 561), U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-179 or I-197), Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240), Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350), Certification of Birth Abroad (FS-545) or expired U.S. passport within 12 months of expiration.

Until July 1, 2015, if you claim citizenship by birth, you may check the box on the electronic TWIC application and also bring documents as described above when appearing in person.

Enrollment Process

You are required to bring your identity documents to the enrollment center. You can find your local Universal Enrollment Center online at the UES locator site. No appointment is necessary, but anyone with an appointment will be called before walk-ins. At the center, you will complete a TWIC Disclosure and Certification Form, pay the fee, provide personal information, and have your fingerprints and a digital photograph taken. Once notified that your TWIC is ready, you must return to the center to pick it up.


Diane Stevens' professional experience started in 1970 with a computer programming position. Beginning in 1985, running her own business gave her extensive experience in personal and business finance. Her writing appears on Orbitz's Travel Blog and other websites. Stevens holds a Bachelor of Science in physics from the State University of New York at Albany.

Photo Credits

36clicks/iStock/Getty Images