Growth Trends for Related Jobs
Marketing Coordinator Job Description
Marketing refers to activities, institutions and processes that communicate, deliver or exchange items that have interest to customers, according to the American Marketing Association. A marketing coordinator -- sometimes called a marketing manager -- analyzes consumer behavior and directs efforts to maximize the demand for a business's products and services. The success of those efforts depends on the coordinator's organizational skills, ability to read trends and adeptness at finding leads to help a company expand its market share.
Ensuring the consistent presentation of a company's image through digital, print and social media advertising is one of the marketing coordinator's chief priorities. He regularly seeks new forums for a company's advertising messages and tracks how competitors and consumers react. For example, if negative comments appear on a corporate Facebook page or Twitter account, the organization would expect the coordinator to acknowledge them and represent its viewpoint, says Inc. magazine in its August 2010 article, "How to Mange Your Company's Brand."
Campaign Research and Management
With the assistance of public relations, product development and sales staff, the marketing coordinator estimates the potential demand for a company's products and services. He works out the best way of reaching consumers, develops a pricing strategy to maximize profits, and conducts surveys to evaluate their effectiveness. He outlines the campaign's goals, checks with the sales force to ensure they are achieved, and tracks public responses to them.
Conventions, press conferences, seminars and trade shows provide a forum for companies to promote their products and services. To arouse public interest, the organization sends customized e-mail invitations to selected clients, peers and sales prospects deemed crucial to an event's success, according to Cvents's white paper, "Secrets to Successful Event Marketing." Most of the major planning responsibilities fall to the marketing coordinator, however. He oversees all event-related logistics -- including the development of schedules and assignments, and attendees' travel and hotel requirements.
Businesses need new customer leads to maintain and expand their market share. The marketing coordinator identifies those leads by monitoring trends that may suggest demands for new products and services. Using a point system, the coordinator determines the most likely sources of new business. He then refers the data to sales representatives to focus their attention on productive leads, the Salesforce.com website states. The company also expects him to regularly update and evaluate this information.
Marketing managers or coordinators need a diverse range of classes to develop the analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills that the job requires. Entrants must also communicate persuasively to others, devise new ideas, think strategically, and work under pressure. Relevant classes might include communication methods and technology, consumer behavior, marketing and market research, and sales, the BLS states. To get hands-on experience, many students complete an internship before graduating with a bachelor of arts degree in a marketing-related field such as advertising, business or communications.
- American Marketing Association: Definition of Marketing
- Cvent White Papers: Secrets to Successful Event Marketing and Management
- Inc.: How to Manage Your Company's Brand
- Monster.com: Recruiting and Hiring Advice: Marketing Coordinator Job Description Sample
- Salesforce.com: Best Practices for Marketing Managers
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: How to Become an Advertising, Promotions or Marketing Manager
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: What Advertising, Promotions, and Marketing Managers Do
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: Advertising, Promotions, and Marketing Managers: Work Environment
- U.S. News & World Report Money: Best Jobs: Marketing Manager
- America's Job Exchange: Marketing Coordinator Job Description
- American Marketing Association
- Business Marketing Association
- Marketing Management Association
- O*NET Online: Summary Report for Marketing Managers
- Travel Industry Careers Association: Marketing Coordinator
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: Advertising, Promotions, and Marketing Managers: Job Outlook
Ralph Heibutzki's articles have appeared in the "All Music Guide," "Goldmine," "Guitar Player" and "Vintage Guitar." He is also the author of "Unfinished Business: The Life & Times Of Danny Gatton," and holds a journalism degree from Michigan State University.
David Becker/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images