Growth Trends for Related Jobs
Salary of a Radiology Equipment Sales Representative
Like any sales representative, those in radiology equipment sell equipment and devices for manufacturers and wholesalers. In general, their primary customers are hospitals, clinics, outpatient care centers and other medical facilities. Most sales reps for medical equipment and devices earn not only a base pay but also commissions, which can improve earnings exponentially.
In 2012, the average wholesale or manufacturing sales representative brought home $85,690 a year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Those in medical equipment sales earned closer to $76,360 annually. A survey by Healthcare Staffing Technologies, a national medical staffing agency, provides similar figures. As of 2012, sales reps for medical devices averaged a base pay of $80,000, while those in medical equipment averaged $70,000 a year.
In addition to base pay, sales representatives are often eligible for commissions. In 2012, sales representatives for medical devices averaged nearly $75,000 in commissions, bringing the total compensation up to $154,753 a year. Commissions for medical equipment sales reps were slightly less, at an average of about $73,000, bringing their total cash compensation up to $143,077 annually.
Income Increases with Experience
As with almost any job, salaries for sales reps increase with experience, and the same can often be said for commissions. With fewer than two years of experience, sales reps for medical devices earned a base of $63,000 and $30,000 in commissions, according to the Healthcare Staffing Technologies survey. Those with two to five years of experience earned a base of $71,000 and another $59,000 in commissions. At 20 years, total compensation can reach $172,000 with base and commissions. In medical equipment, sales reps with fewer than two years of experience averaged a $58,000 base and $30,000 in commissions. Those with six to ten years of experience earned a base of $65,000 and $83,000 in commissions. With 20 years of experience, total income averaged at $145,000 in base pay and commissions.
The BLS expects employment opportunities for sales representatives to be good, with an average job growth of 5 percent from 2020 to 2030. This is just slightly slower than the national average, a projected growth of 6 percent.
Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products salary
- Top 10% Annual Salary: More than $129,200 ($62.12/hour)
- Median Annual Salary: $62,070 ($29.84/hour)
- Bottom 10% Annual Salary: Less than $31,950 ($15.36/hour)
Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products salary
- Top 10% Annual Salary: More than $171,700 ($82.55/hour)
- Median Annual Salary: $86,650 ($41.66/hour)
- Bottom 10% Annual Salary: Less than $42,820 ($20.59/hour)
Highest Paying 1099 Sales Jobs for Telecommuters→
Salary of a Pacemaker Sales Representative→
The Average Salary of a Sales Representative in Wholesale Apparel→
Definition of a Medical Representative→
The Job Description of an Orthopedic Sales Representative→
Job Description for a Durable Medical Equipment Rep→
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook – Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representatives
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: Medical Equipment and Supplies Manufacturing
- MedReps: 2012 Medical Sales Rep Salary Report
- MedReps: 2012 Medical Device Sales Salary Report
- MedReps: 2012 Medical Equipment Sales Salary Report
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representatives
- Career Trend: Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representatives
Based in Minneapolis, Minn., Dana Severson has been writing marketing materials for small-to-mid-sized businesses since 2005. Prior to this, Severson worked as a manager of business development for a marketing company, developing targeted marketing campaigns for Big G, Betty Crocker and Pillsbury, among others.
George Doyle/Stockbyte/Getty Images