Growth Trends for Related Jobs

How to Get a Childcare License in Nevada

careertrend article image
Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Getty Images

Starting a business caring for children can be a rewarding way to make a living. In Nevada, the state Bureau of Services for Child Care handles all licensing procedures. The regulations vary depending on the county in which your daycare will be located. You will need to file the necessary forms, pass a background check, complete a number of training programs, pass a facility inspection and fulfill any necessary business license and zoning requirements.

Contact the surveyor for your area. The licensing requirements for the state of Nevada vary greatly depending on each jurisdiction. You cannot apply online. Contact the office of your local licensing agency to determine the exact requirements (see References).

Attend application process training. Your local agency surveyor will guide you through the initial training process. The surveyor will provide you with an application, inform you of fees, clarify training requirements, provide information on facility regulations and notify you of which local law enforcement, health, fire and local business licenses need to be obtained.

Complete child development courses. The following classes are required in order to obtain a license: CPR, First Aid, Signs of Illness including Blood-Borne Pathogens, Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect, SIDS and a general child development class. Contact the Nevada Registry to find official training classes near you.

Complete a background check. Submit a Consent and Release form provided by your local licensing agency. Complete a fingerprint submission at a designated test center. Any staff or household member over 18 is required to do the same.

Complete all necessary paperwork. You will need to complete a "facility statement" and a disaster plan. A facility statement should include such information as type of facility, curriculum program, address of facility, number of children to be cared for and training certification.

Prepare your facility. State law requires you to have at least 35 square feet of indoor space for each child exclusive of bathrooms, halls, kitchen, stairs and storage spaces and at least 37 1/2 square feet of outdoor play space for each child. Review the official guidelines for facilities (NAC-432A: Services and Facilities for Care of Children) to make sure your facility meets all other safety regulations and insurance requirements.

Schedule inspections. You will need to schedule both a health and a fire inspection of your premises. Upon completion, you can then request the initial general inspection of your facility. Once you pass this inspection, you will be given a license.