Growth Trends for Related Jobs

How to Become a Repo Man in Florida

careertrend article image Images

A Florida repo man, also known as a recovery agent, is someone who recovers property due to defaults in payments on behalf of the owner or company that holds a lien against the property. The agent may recover vehicles, farm equipment, aircraft, watercraft and mobile homes. He is responsible for recovering the equipment in a peaceful and respectful manner that neither disrupts the neighborhood nor damages the property. In order to obtain a position as a repo man, Florida law requires special training and a license.

Attend a Florida recovery agent school to obtain the necessary training to become a repo man. You must complete a 40-hour course at a state-licensed school. You may obtain a list of licensed recovery agent schools through the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

Obtain your recovery agent course completion paperwork and visit a Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles office. Fill out the forms and applications necessary to obtain your Class EE recovery agent intern license.

Provide fingerprints along with the application fee, which is $60 as of 2011. After you receive your intern license, you must complete an internship before obtaining your regular class E recovery license.

Search for internship employment as a repo man through newspaper ads, online listings or word of mouth. Visit dealerships that conduct in-house financing and use recovery agents.

You can also seek employment through insurance companies or lending companies that insure or lend money for vehicles. Once hired, you will receive additional hands-on training with licensed recovery agent supervisors.

Apply for a Class E recovery agent license after completing your one-year period as a Class EE recovery agent intern. As of 2011, the price of the Class E recovery agent license is $75.

Prepare for the licensing exam by reviewing documents and other information you received during your internship. You must pass the Class E exam before going from an intern license to a recovery agent license.

You can now work as a recovery agent without supervision from a licensed manager or instructor. You may continue working for your current employer or start a business as a contract recovery agent.


Sherry Morgan has been professionally demonstrating her writing ability since 2005. Within her writing career, she has written for, Associated Content, Textbroker, and an extensive list of personal clients. She is currently working on her Associate of Applied Science degree in business management at MGCCC, focusing on business and creative writing.