How to Become a Public Adjuster

Growth Trends for Related Jobs

An insurance adjuster can operate independently as a contractor or work with a large company. The company adjuster works in the interest of the insurer while the private adjuster works solely in the interest of the insured.

A public adjuster visits property and makes estimated damages after inspection. The adjuster looks at a claim and determines if the policy covers the damages claimed. The adjuster then writes a report to document the decision made about the claim. In some cases, the adjuster may appear in court on behalf of the insured or the company.

The Process

Find a reputable learning institution that offers a course for insurance adjusters. You may also find online classes if you are unable to attend a course in person.

Each state has different requirements for becoming a public adjuster. For example, the Florida Department of Financial Services mandates that you pass the state exam first before you can apply for the 3-20 All-Lines PA license.

Schedule your exam with the Department of Financial Services in the state where you live. Use prep courses to help you study for the exam.

After passing the exam, you can apply for these required licenses: 3-21 Motor Vehicle Physical Damage and Mechanical Breakdown, 3-24 Workers Compensation, 3-40 Health and 3-44 Property and Casualty.

Search for a job as an insurance adjuster in a company or work independently as a contractor.

A public adjuster must maintain and comply with certain licensing requirements. This includes maintaining a 50k bond as well as 24 hours in continuing education credits (with two hours of ethics training every other year). You may be able to receive training from the company for which you work. Most companies offer continuous training. Stay abreast of the most current requirements to keep with the public adjuster compliance issues.


Find a quality learning institution to remain competitive in this field. Keep up to date with all compliance issues and requirements.


To practice as a public adjuster in the state in which you live, you must take and pass the exam in that particular state.


About the Author

Patricia Bell has been a full-time writer now since 2001. Her professional experience includes work done on various websites, covering relationships, self-improvement, business, finance, career, health and fitness. Ms. Bell holds a Bachelor of Arts in business from Florida Atlantic University.