Growth Trends for Related Jobs

How to Apply for a Copy of My CNA License Online

careertrend article image

The certified nursing assistant (or CNA) license is a state-issued document. In every state CNAs must be licensed. The license is proof that you have successfully met the state’s educational and training requirements. Licensed CNAs are qualified professional who work in health care facilities such as nursing homes and hospitals. When seeking employment you must show the prospective employer a copy of your CNA license. In the event that your license is lost, stolen or destroyed you can apply for a copy your license. In most cases you can do this online.

Locate the agency that issued the CNA license. The process of issuing licenses falls under the umbrella of state agencies such as the Nurse Aide Registry, Board of Nursing or Department of Health. The Nurse Aide Registry website ( has the contact information for each one of these state agencies.

Call your state agency. Tell the staff person that you need a copy of your CNA license. In most cases, you must complete a request form. Ask whether the form is available online. Typically, forms, documents and applications are posted on agency websites. Request the agency’s website address.

Go the state agency’s website. Locate the appropriate form. In many cases the form are located under a category such as “Licensure and Certification,” “Application Packets” or “Form Downloads.” The form may say “Name Change/Duplicate License/Certificate Request” or something similar.

Download the request form. Provide all the requested information. Include the appropriate fee. The fees may vary by state. Mail the form to the address specified on the form. Once your request is processed you’ll receive your duplicate license in the mail.


Based in Little Rock, Rachel Moore began her freelance writing career in 1993. Her articles have appeared in the Arkansas "Democrat Gazette," Little Rock "Free Press" and the "Arkansas Times." Moore holds a Bachelor of Arts in political science/pre-law from the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff.

Photo Credits