Hydrochloric acid, like all acids, is a chemical that must be handled with care. It can be harmful if it comes into contact with the skin and poisonous if ingested or even inhaled. Hydrochloric acid has a number of important practical uses, such as in laboratory work, as a component of fertilizers, and as an ingredient in pool chemicals. But its highly corrosive property makes it potentially dangerous. Follow these steps in the event that hydrochloric acid spills onto your skin or clothing.
Flush the affected area of the skin with cool, running water for 15 minutes.
Take off any contaminated clothes and wash them thoroughly before putting them back on.
Avoid rubbing the skin.
Flush the eyes (if affected) with cool, running water for 15 minutes as well.
Obtain medical attention if the skin remains painful, red, swollen, or visibly burned.