Growth Trends for Related Jobs

How to List College Degrees on Resumes

careertrend article image
Creatas Images/Creatas/Getty Images

When writing a resume, you naturally want to include the college degrees that you have in a way that makes employers take note. There are a couple of different ways that you can structure your resume so that it highlights your best side. The resume of a recent college graduate will look much different than the resume of someone who's been in the workforce for 30 years. Take time to list your college degrees on your resume correctly.

Place your information in the appropriate spot. Depending on where you are in your career, you will want your resume to highlight different things. If you are fresh out of college, you want to highlight education over work experience, so you would want to list your college degrees immediately after your contact information. If you have been in the workforce for several years, you want to highlight you work experience, so place that first and put your college degrees toward the bottom.

Write the full name of your university. Everyone you know may call your school the "U of R," but prospective employers may not know that is the University of Rochester or they may think that you meant the University of Richmond. It's important to be specific. Likewise, it could be misleading if you write simply "Columbia" instead of "Columbia College" because the employer may mistake that for the more prestigious "Columbia University."

Spell out your degree. Rather than listing "B.A.", you should write out "Bachelor of Arts."

List your grade point average if it's good. If your school doesn't use the four-point system, you should convert your GPA to this standard.

Include relevant activities if you're young. Without a lot of work experience, it can be difficult to show that you have what it takes to get the job. You can list some of your college activities if they show leadership abilities or unique talents that would pertain to the position that you are applying for.


If your degree is from a college outside the United States, you can write what your degree is called in your home country and include its equivalent in parentheses. For example, if you earned a four-year degree in Japan, you might list it as "Hogakubu in Law (Bachelor's Degree equivalent)."