Jupiterimages/Creatas/Getty Images

How to Get a Job Transporting Cars

Growth Trends for Related Jobs

There's a certain thrill about driving across the country. The open road, the changing landscape, the curious cultural differences you can experience all make long-distance driving an adventure. For some, the experience is powerful enough that they would like to make a career out of it. Transporting cars across the country--known as driveaways--allows you to make money driving without getting a commercial driver's license or any other special license. All you need is a driver's license, a motor vehicle report and a sparkling resume.

Close-up of a policeman standing near a car and looking at notebook
Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images

Obtain your motor vehicle report. The MVR is the form your insurance company uses to calculate liability. Instructions on how to obtain this document vary from state to state. Generally speaking, you fill out a form and submit a nominal fee to your state Department of Motor Vehicles. The department returns the form, which includes all moving violations and accidents for which you were at fault. This will be included with your resume package.

Man using keyboard, close up, mid section
George Doyle/Stockbyte/Getty Images

Write a driver's resume. Remember that there is more to getting a job doing driveaways than just driving. You'll need customer service skills, technical aptitude, promptness and the ability to follow instructions without supervision. Put together a resume that paints a picture of you as a responsible person with a great work ethic, one who pays attention to detail and needs little supervision.

Man Sitting in a Kitchen Typing into a Laptop and Listening to his Mobile Phone
Digital Vision./Digital Vision/Getty Images

Contact a driveaway transportation service. These services are both national and local. The largest national one is Custom Auto Delivery. These companies have affiliates in several cities. You can find local companies in the Yellow Pages under "Automobile Shipping" or "Driveaway Services."


You don't necessarily need insurance to be a driveaway driver, because the companies insure you. You will have to pay for all gas after the first tank. Rates of pay vary widely depending on the location of the car and the total length of the journey. However, rates are generally paid by the mile, and rookies and seasoned professionals are paid at the same rate for the same job.


You must be at least 21 years old, and in many cases 23 to get these kinds of jobs. If you have more than two moving violations in the last year, you will be ineligible for this kind of work.

About the Author

Nicholas Pell began writing professionally in 1995. His features on arts, culture, personal finance and technology have appeared in publications such as "LA Weekly," Salon and Business Insider. Pell holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.

Cite this Article