Growth Trends for Related Jobs
Assisted living facilities depend on assistant nursing directors to manage the care of residents and provide nursing care. These assistant directors of nursing hire and supervise nurses, coordinate orientation programs for residents and families and ensure nurses follow certain safety precautions when using medical equipment. If you want to work as an assisted living facility assistant nursing director, you can expect to earn an average salary of more than $70,000 annually.
Salaries Over $70,000
The average annual salary for an assisted living facility assistant nursing director was $71,000 as of 2013, according to the job site Indeed. To qualify for this job, you need to earn at least a bachelor's degree in nursing. You must also take and pass the National Council Licensure Examination, or NCLEX-RN, through the National Council of State Boards of Nursing to earn a registered nursing license in your state, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Assisted living facilities may also prefer that you have one or more years of nursing management experience. Other essential requirements for this job include an attention to detail and organization, communication, analytical, problem-solving and computer skills.
Top Pay in New York
Average salaries for assistant nursing directors at assisted living facilities varied the most in the West region, according to Indeed, where they earned the lowest salaries of $51,000 in Hawaii and the highest of $84,000 in California. If you worked as an assisted living facility assistant nursing director in Maine or New York, you'd earn an average of $61,000 or $86,000, respectively, which were the lowest and highest salaries in the Northeast. In the South region, you'd make the most in Washington, D.C., or least in Louisiana at $84,000 or $61,000, respectively. These assistant directors of nursing earned $58,000 to $85,000 per year in the Midwest region, with the lowest salaries in Nebraska and South Dakota and the highest in Illinois.
Earn More Than Most Registered Nurses
While Indeed reported salaries of $71,000 for assistant nursing directors at assisted living facilities in 2013, all registered nurses earned average annual salaries of $67,930 as of May 2013, according to the BLS. Registered nurses who worked for nursing homes made $61,220 per year. Assistant directors of nursing may earn more than other registered nurses because they work in administration, which requires both nursing and business skills. The BLS reported average annual salaries of $98,460 for medical and health services managers in 2012, which include nursing administrators and managers of health clinics.
Excellent Job Growth
The BLS doesn't forecast jobs for assistant nursing directors at assisted living facilities. It predicts a 22 percent increase in jobs for medical and health services managers from 2010 to 2020 -- a faster-than-average growth rate. Increases in population among baby boomers will increase the number of visits at hospitals, clinics and outpatient centers through 2020. Some of these people will need to live in assisted living facilities if they are unable to cook for themselves or need help taking medications. If demand for assisted living increases, you may find more available jobs at these facilities as an assistant director of nursing.
Jobs & Salary for an Assisted Living Executive Director→
How Much Do Assisted Living Administrators Make?→
The Salary for an Assisted-Living Marketing Director→
What Is the Pay Scale in Health Care Administration?→
Job Responsibilities in Assisted Living Positions→
How Much Does a Traveling LPN Make?→
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: How to Become a Registered Nurse
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Registered Nurses: Job Outlook
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Medical and Health Services Managers: Job Outlook
- Indeed: Assisted Living Facility Assistant Director of Nursing Salary
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Employment Statistics: Registered Nurses
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Employment Statistics: Medical and Health Services Managers
- Indeed: Assisted Living Facility Assistant Director of Nursing Salary in Maine, and New York
- Indeed: Assisted Living Facility Assistant Director of Nursing Salary in Hawaii, and California
- Indeed: Assisted Living Facility Assistant Director of Nursing Salary in Louisiana, and Washington, DC
- Indeed: Assisted Living Facility Assistant Director of Nursing Salary in South Dakota, Nebraska, and Illinois
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: What Medical and Health Services Managers Do
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: How to Become a Medical or Health Services Manager
- Brookdale: Assistant Director of Nursing
- Helpguide.org: Assisted Living Facilities: Tips for Choosing a Facility and Making the Transition
- Maryland Health Care Commission: Consumer Guide To Long Term Care: Assisted Living
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing: Information on Licensing
- Christopher Robbins/Photodisc/Getty Images