Growth Trends for Related Jobs

What Types of Jobs Are There for Research Oriented Personalities?

careertrend article image
Hero Images/Hero Images/GettyImages

Research-oriented personalities like to collect and analyze data and test theories and hypotheses. Their research usually seeks to solve an existing problem through new products or processes, or it may lead to a greater understanding of a particular subject. Research-oriented types have strong critical-thinking and analytical skills and are open to new ideas. There are many types of jobs that might be fulfilling to these individuals.

Scientific Research

In the field of science and medicine, some of the careers for research-oriented personalities include medical scientists, who have a Ph.D. in medicine, and may specialize in such areas as cancer research and other types of diseases, the effects of chemicals on the human body, or how human tissue grows and heals. Agricultural and food scientists, who usually have a bachelor’s degree in agricultural science or another science, research ways to grow healthier farm animals and make food safer, tastier and pest-free. Biochemists and biophysicists, who need a Ph.D. in one of these fields, develop tests to detect diseases and create new types of medicine.

Business Research

In the field of business, market research analysts, who typically have a bachelor’s degree in market research or another field of business, research market trends and consumer behavior to help companies identify and reach their target audiences. Operations research analysts, who usually have a bachelor’s degree in operations research, collect information and use statistical analysis to determine ways to solve such business problems as declining sales or production issues. Economists, who usually have a master’s degree or Ph.D. in economics or business, study such trends as unemployment, inflation, minimum wage laws, supply and demand, and financial markets.

Social Science Research

In the realm of social sciences, archaeologists and anthropologists, who generally have a master’s degree in one of these two areas, study cultures, languages and archaeological remains to learn more about the human species. Urban and regional planners, who need a master’s degree – generally in a subject like economics, environmental design or political science -- research the best ways to use land to create cities, towns and other types of communities. Historians, who typically need a master’s degree or Ph.D. in history, museum studies or a related field, research books, photographs, film, public records and other materials to learn about past events and people.

Computer Research Scientists

Research in technology includes computer research scientists, who need a Ph.D. in computer science or computer engineering. Their research results in new ways to use computer technology. For example, they may develop ways to improve how data is viewed or stored, or they may research ways to increase the use of robots. Information security analysts, who need a bachelor’s degree in a computer science, programming or a related field, research security trends and methods of protecting data from cyber criminals.


Terri Williams began writing professionally in 1997, working with a large nonprofit organization. Her articles have appeared in various online publications including Yahoo, USA Today, U.S. News & World Report University Directory, and the Center for Digital Ethics and Policy at Loyola University Chicago. Williams has a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Photo Credits

Hero Images/Hero Images/GettyImages