Growth Trends for Related Jobs

How to Cancel an Unemployment Claim Filed in Michigan

careertrend article image

Once you've found a job or your circumstances have changed in some other way that means you are no longer entitled to unemployment benefits in Michigan, stopping your claim can be as simple as not certifying. If your circumstances change midway through a filing period however, it's better to contact the state unemployment office to arrange a partial payment. Even if the change in your circumstances coincides with your filing cycle, it's advisable to contact the office to make sure all records are up to date.

Find your social security number, information about your unemployment benefit claim and other personal details. You'll need these to establish your identity and for staff at the unemployment office to find your claim.

Locate the contact details of your personal counselor at the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency on paperwork you received when you set up your claim. If you can't find the information, call the claims line on 1-866-500-0017 between 8:00 and 4:30 p.m. Eastern time on weekdays.

Tell your counselor or the claims representative you will no longer be filing for unemployment benefits. Give the exact date of your change of circumstances and ask the counselor to work out if you are due a partial payment or if you need to pay back any money already paid to you.


If you receive unemployment benefit in error after your claim has been stopped, contact your counselor immediately.


Michael Roennevig has been a journalist since 2003. He has written on politics, the arts, travel and society for publications such as "The Big Issue" and "Which?" Roennevig holds a Bachelor of Arts in journalism from the Surrey Institute and a postgraduate diploma from the National Council for the Training of Journalists at City College, Brighton.

Photo Credits