How to Become a Licensed Plumber in New York

Growth Trends for Related Jobs

Obtaining a plumber's license allows you to work as a plumber in New York. This process requires a lot of documentation and two exams, but you'll reap the rewards of a higher salary and the ability to practice as a plumber. The average licensed plumber in New York makes $40,000 to $45,000 per year, according to

Review the minimum requirements to make sure you're qualified to apply for a plumber's license (see Resources). The state of New York require applicants to be at least 18 and be a professional engineer with three years' experience, a bachelor's degree with five years' plumbing experience or seven years' plumbing experience with master supervision.

Complete the exam application from the Division of Citywide Administrative Services (see Resources). You will need to submit proof of your work experience along with the application. Payroll stubs or notarized letters from employers are two such acceptable forms of proof. Submit your application and wait to receive an exam date.

Take the written exam. This is a multiple choice exam that addresses plumbing procedures, safety, equipment and installation.

Obtain a date for your practical exam once you pass the written exam. You will be graded on your performance of plumbing duties, such as pipe cutting and pipe fitting. When you pass your practical exam, you'll receive information from the Licensing Unit on how to complete your application.

Submit all relevant documents within one year of completing your exam to obtain your license. You'll need to provide a Certification of Extract from Records showing your social security earnings, notarized affidavits from past employers certifying your work and other documentation requested by the Licensing Unit.

Wait to receive a notice of eligibility. If you have missing document, the Licensing Unit will notify you at this time. Once you've received your eligibility notice, call the Licensing Unit and make an appointment to obtain your plumber's license (see Resources).