Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

How to Change a Name on a Social Security Card After Getting Married

Growth Trends for Related Jobs

The original use for the Social Security card and number was to track the funds in your Social Security account. When you get married and change your name, you must let the Social Security Administration (SSA) know that you are using a different name. You do this by changing your name on your Social Security card. Not changing your name with the SSA may impact your tax refund and your Social Security account and benefits.

Download and complete Form SS-5 from the SSA website (see Resources).

Prove that you are the same person, even though your name may be different, with your marriage certificate.

Prove your citizenship or immigration status with a U.S. driver's license, a state-issued identity card or a U.S. passport. SSA also may accept the following documents: a school ID card; employee ID card; U.S. military ID card; or a health insurance card. (A Medicare card is not acceptable.)

Prove your identity with the same documents that prove your citizenship or immigration status.

Take the completed form and the original documents to your local Social Security office or mail the paperwork.


Give your employer your new name to match all your pay and tax records. You can call 800-772-1213 to find out more information about where you can obtain the appropriate form. If you are a legal immigrant, you must prove that you are allowed to work in the United States. The SSA will accept the following documents: Form I-551 (green card); I-94 (arrival and departure record); and I-766 or I-688B (work permits) with an unexpired passport.


Never carry your Social Security card in your wallet. Always keep it in a safe place. The SSA requires original documents or certified copies; the agency does accept photocopies.


About the Author

This article was written by a professional writer, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. To submit your questions or ideas, or to simply learn more, see our about us page: link below.

Photo Credits

  • Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images