Growth Trends for Related Jobs
For many people, it may seem as if they've just finished cleaning their homes when it's time to clean again. Multiple those housecleaning tasks by the dozens and you have the job description for a hospital housekeeper. When they're not washing linens, vacuuming carpets, or cleaning operating rooms or patient rooms, they're ordering and stocking hospital room supplies. Applicants do not need any special education for this job, as employers usually train them on the job. Desired qualifications include physical stamina, attention to detail and interpersonal skills. The pay is relatively low but demand for housekeepers appears strong for the foreseeable future.
The Indeed job site reported average salaries of $22,000 a year for hospital housekeepers as of 2014. Salaries varied the least in the Northeast, where hospital housekeepers averaged the lowest salaries of $19,000 a year in Vermont and Maine and the highest salaries of $26,000 in Massachusetts and New York. Employers paid the highest national salaries in Washington, D.C. at an average of $27,000 a year. In the West, average salaries ranged from $13,000 a year in Hawaii to $23,000 in California and Washington. The state with the highest average salary in the Midwest is Illinois, at $25,000 a year.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics includes hospital housekeepers in the broader job category of maids and housekeeping cleaners. Employment in this field is expected to increase 13 percent from 2010 to 2020, according to BLS. Most of the job growth is expected to come from the health care field, which should bode well for hospital housekeepers.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: What Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners Do
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: How to Become a Maid or Housekeeping Cleaner
- Indeed: Hospital Housekeeper Salary
- Indeed: Hospital Housekeeper Salary in Maine, Vermont, New York, and Massachusetts
- Indeed: Hospital Housekeeper Salary in Hawaii, and California
- Indeed: Hospital Housekeeper Salary in Kentucky, Louisiana, and Washington, DC
- Indeed: Hospital Housekeeper Salary in Nebraska, and Illinois
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration: Housekeeping
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners: Job Outlook
- Indeed: Hospital Housekeeper Salary in Washington
- kadmy/iStock/Getty Images