Growth Trends for Related Jobs

Difference Between Personal Lines and Property and Casualty Insurance License

careertrend article image

To sell insurance, an agent must obtain a license from the state in which he will operate. A property and casualty insurance license is a common license that states offer for agents hoping to sell a variety of policies.

Personal Lines

Personal lines of insurance include a range of insurance policies for individuals. The most common personal lines are automobile insurance and home insurance.

Property and Casualty Insurance

Property and casualty insurance encompasses insurance policies that protect both commercial entities and individuals against losses related to property or losses from legal liability resulting from injury to people or property, according to ISO, which specializes in property and casualty insurance information.


Property and casualty insurance state licenses typically enable agents to sell both commercial and personal lines of property and casualty insurance. States tend not to require a separate license to sell personal lines.


Tom Gresham is a freelance writer and public relations specialist who has been writing professionally since 1999. His articles have appeared in "The Washington Post," "Virginia Magazine," "Vermont Magazine," "Adirondack Life" and the "Southern Arts Journal," among other publications. He graduated from the University of Virginia.

Photo Credits