Growth Trends for Related Jobs
Job Description for a Landscape Laborer
Landscape laborers work outdoors to improve the functional or aesthetic value of a property. They may create or improve lawns, gardens, decks, patios and other landscape features. Landscape laborers make use of many hand tools and products as well as motorized tools and sometimes construction vehicles. Landscape labor salaries depend on the nature of the company as well as the type of work required.
Skills and Education
Landscape laborers do not usually require a formal education; however, applicants with at least a high school diploma have a better chance at employment. To become a supervisor, additional college education may be required. Landscape laborers must be skilled with their hands, and they must know how to operate motorized machines and tools such as electric trimmers and lawnmowers. In order to work quickly and efficiently, they require discipline and stamina as well as the ability to work well on a team. Attention to detail and constant alertness are necessary for safety reasons and to avoid careless mistakes.
Landscape laborers are responsible for modifying the terrain of a property in a number of ways. Depending on the job, they may trim trees and bushes, mulch gardens, spread fertilizer or dig holes. They also install patios, decks and walkways as well as sprinkler and lighting systems. Landscape laborers may water plants, mow lawns and perform other maintenance tasks.
Landscape laborers use shovels, rakes, brooms and handsaws for simple tasks such as cutting wood, grooming gardens and cleaning up leaves. In addition, they use power tools such as chainsaws and electric clippers for heavy tasks such as cutting down trees or heavy branches and leaf blowers for removing leaves and debris. For large, open lawns, landscape laborers maneuver and troubleshoot riding mowers. For edging and in-between areas, they are proficient with weed trimmers.
Landscape laborers are hired by private or public contractors and are offered a range of pay depending upon the duties required by their employers. Large private companies may offer more pay for a given job, while some companies offer benefits packages. Landscape labor is usually seasonal, so laborers must diversify their skills if they wish to work year-round.
Landscape laborers may be promoted to crew leader or supervisor positions for displaying hard work, extensive knowledge in the field and good communication skills. In addition, some landscape laborers seek certification to gain professional recognition; this requires education and training in such areas as landscape engineering and the proper use of pesticides. With certifications or licenses, landscape laborers improve their prospects at earning better pay and a wider selection of jobs.
Grounds Maintenance Workers salary
- Top 10% Annual Salary: More than $50,030 ($24.05/hour)
- Median Annual Salary: $32,220 ($15.49/hour)
- Bottom 10% Annual Salary: Less than $22,940 ($11.03/hour)
Grounds Maintenance Workers Employment and Labor Information 2023
Grounds Maintenance Workers Employment Brief:
All grounds maintenance workers not listed separately.
Grounds Maintenance Workers Job Description
Here is a Job Description an employer might post for potential Grounds Maintenance Workers.
Grounds Maintenance Workers Responsibilities and Duties:
Typical Daily Tasks of Grounds Maintenance Workers:
Grounds Maintenance Workers Skills and Requirements:
- Judgment and Decision Making Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- GraphicsWorking with pictures in graphics programs or other applications, including creating simple graphics, manipulating the appearance, and inserting graphics into other programs.
- DatabasesUsing a computer application to manage large amounts of information, including creating and editing simple databases, inputting data, retrieving specific records, and creating reports to communicate the information.
- Persuasion Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Systems Analysis Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Negotiation Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- InternetNavigating the Internet to find information, including the ability to open and configure standard browsers; use searches, hypertext references, and transfer protocols; and send and retrieve electronic mail (e-mail).
- NavigationUsing scroll bars, a mouse, and dialog boxes to work within the computer's operating system. Being able to access and switch between applications and files of interest.
- Coordination Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Complex Problem Solving Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Grounds Maintenance Workers Salary and Wages:
Average Salary: 58,450. Education: typical education requirements include High school diploma or equivalent.
Data from May 2023 courtesy of U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wage Statistics (OEWS) program.
Justin Higgins has traveled throughout South America. He writes articles that appear on various websites with a focus on travel and science-related topics. Higgins is a graduate from Ithaca College with a Bachelor of Arts in cultural anthropology.