Growth Trends for Related Jobs
What Software Developers Do
Software developers are the creative minds behind computer programs. Some develop the applications that allow people to do specific tasks on a computer or another device. Others develop the underlying systems that run the devices or that control networks.
Many software developers work for firms that deal in computer systems design and related services or for software publishers.
How to Become a Software Developer
Software developers usually have a bachelor’s degree in computer science and strong computer programming skills.
Employment of software developers is projected to grow 17 percent from 2014 to 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations. The main reason for the rapid growth is a large increase in the demand for computer software.
Growth & Trends
This occupation supported 1,018,000 jobs in 2012 and 1,114,000 jobs in 2014, reflecting an increase of 9.4%. In 2012, this occupation was projected to increase by 21.9% in 2022 to 1,240,700 jobs. As of 2014, to keep pace with prediction, the expected number of jobs was 1,062,500, compared with an observed value of 1,114,000, 4.8% higher than expected. This indicates current employment trends are better than the 2012 trend within this occupation. In 2014, this occupation was projected to increase by 18.3% in 2024 to 1,300,700 jobs. Linear extrapolation of the 2012 projection for 2022 results in an expected number of 1,285,200 jobs for 2024, 1.2% lower than the 2014 projection for 2024. This indicates expectations for future employment trends are about on track with the 2012 trend within this occupation.
Software Developers Employment and Labor Information 2023
Software Developers Employment Brief:
Research, design, and develop computer and network software or specialized utility programs. Analyze user needs and develop software solutions, applying principles and techniques of computer science, engineering, and mathematical analysis. Update software or enhance existing software capabilities. May work with computer hardware engineers to integrate hardware and software systems, and develop specifications and performance requirements. May maintain databases within an application area, working individually or coordinating database development as part of a team.
Software Developers Job Description
Here is a Job Description an employer might post for potential Software Developers.
Software Developers Responsibilities and Duties:
Typical Daily Tasks of Software Developers:
Software Developers Skills and Requirements:
- Equipment Maintenance Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Science Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- GraphicsWorking with pictures in graphics programs or other applications, including creating simple graphics, manipulating the appearance, and inserting graphics into other programs.
- Instructing Teaching others how to do something.
- SpreadsheetsUsing a computer application to enter, manipulate, and format text and numerical data; insert, delete, and manipulate cells, rows, and columns; and create and save worksheets, charts, and graphs.
- Management of Material Resources Obtaining and seeing to the appropriate use of equipment, facilities, and materials needed to do certain work.
- Active Learning Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Quality Control Analysis Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Management of Financial Resources Determining how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
- PresentationsUsing a computer application to create, manipulate, edit, and show virtual slide presentations.
Software Developers Education and Training:
Typical education for include: Bachelor's degree.
Software Developers Salary, Wages, and Salary and Job Outlook
Software Developers average pay is: $127260 per year according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Employees who work in Software Publishers are the highest paid making $68.00, while Computer Systems Design and Related Services make the least at $58.30 per hour.Here are the top city/metro areas with the highest paying salaries for a Software Developers:
Hourly mean wage
Annual mean wage
Employment per thousand jobs
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA
San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA
Santa Maria-Santa Barbara, CA