Growth Trends for Related Jobs
Typically trained on the job in an apprenticeship, house painters use brushes, rollers and spray devices to apply paint to the interior and exterior of houses and other buildings. In addition to painting, they prepare surfaces, mix paints, protect furniture and shrubbery with special coverings, and may perform minor repair work in preparation for the paint job. Wages vary according to industry and location.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics groups all kinds of painters for salary purposes. It does note, however, that painters who worked primarily in the residential building construction field earned an average hourly wage of $17.74 in 2013. The average hourly wage for all painters in 2013, any of whom might paint houses, was $18.89, with a salary range from $11.22 to $29.94. South Dakota had the lowest hourly wage for painters in 2013, at $14.23. Illinois had a much higher wage and was the top-paying state, at $25.28. In 2014, Indeed.com reported an average annual salary of $35,000 for house painters, which would be an hourly wage of $16.83 for a painter who worked full time.
2016 Salary Information for Painters, Construction and Maintenance
Painters, construction and maintenance earned a median annual salary of $37,570 in 2016, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. On the low end, painters, construction and maintenance earned a 25th percentile salary of $30,190, meaning 75 percent earned more than this amount. The 75th percentile salary is $49,610, meaning 25 percent earn more. In 2016, 381,500 people were employed in the U.S. as painters, construction and maintenance.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2013 47-2141 Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Indeed.com: House Painter Salary
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Career Trend: Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- IvanMikhaylov/iStock/Getty Images