The Average Salary of an AutoCAD Drafter
Growth Trends for Related Jobs
Drafters use AutoCAD, computer-aided design and drafting software, to help architects and engineers create design plans. AutoCAD drafters can work in a variety of engineering fields, such as mechanical, electrical and architectural. The average salary varies, based on the field drafters work in.
Mechanical AutoCAD Drafters
Mechanical drafters use AutoCAD to help mechanical engineers design parts and machinery. In 2020, the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimated an average salary of $58,270 per year for mechanical drafters. The average hourly wage was about $28.00.
Architectural and Civil AutoCAD Drafters
Architectural and civil drafters help architects and civil engineers design buildings and infrastructure, such as roadways, bridges and dams. The BLS estimated an average salary of $57,500 per year for these drafters in 2020. Average hourly wages were about $27.50.
Electrical and Electronics AutoCAD Drafters
Electrical and electronics drafters help electrical and electronic engineers design circuitry, electrical equipment and electronic parts. These drafters earned an average salary of $62,100 per year in 2020, according to the BLS. Average hourly wages were about $29.85.
- Top 10% Annual Salary: More than $87,970 ($42.29/hour)
- Median Annual Salary: $57,960 ($27.87/hour)
- Bottom 10% Annual Salary: Less than $36,470 ($17.53/hour)
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Drafters
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Mechanical Drafters
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Architectural and Civil Drafters
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Electrical and Electronics Drafters
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: Drafters
- Career Trend: Drafters
Elvis Michael has been writing professionally since 2007, contributing technology articles to various online outlets. He is pursuing a Bachelor of Science in information technology at Northeastern University.