Growth Trends for Related Jobs

What Education Is Needed to Become a Marine Archaeologist?

careertrend article image
Comstock Images/Stockbyte/Getty Images

Marine archaeology, a sub-specialty in the field of archaeology, focuses on underwater explorations of sites with potential historical value. Marine archaeologists may work in freshwater or saltwater environments. You’ll need a minimum of a master’s degree to work in the field, and if you plan to teach or to work outside the United States, a doctorate is usually required.

Your Basic Education

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics notes that you must have at least a master's degree to teach archaeology, and foreign countries often have stringent requirements for archaeological exploration that can be met only if you have a doctorate. Expect to spend at least six years getting a bachelor’s degree and a master's degree, and several additional years to complete your doctoral requirements. A doctorate typically requires a dissertation. In addition, you may want to take courses that are not offered in an archaeological program. For example, if you will be conducting underwater explorations, you should learn to scuba dive.

Graduate Programs

The website of the Advisory Council on Underwater Archaeology notes that a limited number of institutions offered graduate programs in marine or underwater archaeology in 2013. Some institutions offer studies in marine archaeology or related fields even if they don’t offer an actual graduate degree. Each program may have a slightly different focus, such as North American archaeology, ancient history or a particular period in history, so do your research. Field work will be done at the university’s current sites, and some may offer better opportunities than others.

Anthropologists and Archeologists salary

  • Top 10% Annual Salary: More than $102,770 ($49.41/hour)
  • Median Annual Salary: $66,130 ($31.79/hour)
  • Bottom 10% Annual Salary: Less than $40,800 ($19.62/hour)

Beth Greenwood is an RN and has been a writer since 2010. She specializes in medical and health topics, as well as career articles about health care professions. Greenwood holds an Associate of Science in nursing from Shasta College.

Photo Credits

Comstock Images/Stockbyte/Getty Images