How to Become an Insurance Claims Adjuster in Missouri

Growth Trends for Related Jobs

careertrend article image
missouri outline image by Kim Jones from

A career in adjusting insurance claims can be an emotionally and financially rewarding choice for motivated and people-oriented professionals. Public adjusters do not work for any specific insurance company, but represent the claimant's interests when settling an insurance claim. These adjusters are typically paid a percentage of the claim settlement. Missouri requires that you obtain an adjuster license before starting this work, but does not require any specific educational training prior to taking the licensing exam. Once you are licensed, you can work for an existing public adjuster business, or go into business for yourself.

Attend a pre-examination class if needed. Classes are given by a number of education providers like This is not required by the state, so if you have prior training or knowledge about Missouri's claims-adjuster laws, proceed to step two.

Schedule a public adjuster examination through the state's exam provider, PearsonVUE. Make your reservation by phone at 866-274-4740, online at, or by fax using the fax form at the back of the State of Missouri Insurance Licensing Candidate Handbook. You must make your reservation at least one day in advance.

Pay the examination fee by credit card, debit card, voucher or electronic check. As of September 2010, the fee is $41. PearsonVUE will assign you a date, time and location for the exam.

Go to the examination site on your assigned date. Arrive at the site at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the exam. Bring two forms of identification.

Take and pass the exam. Once you pass the exam, the testing center will give you a passing score report with instructions about how to apply for your license.

Obtain a corporate surety bond from an authorized bonding company. If you are going into business yourself, the bond must be for $10,000. If you will be hired by a licensed adjusting firm, you only need a $1,000 bond. Complete the Public Adjuster Bond form with the bonding company.

Complete a power of attorney for the bond. The bonding company will assist you in doing this.

Complete the Application for Public Adjuster. Submit the application, the bond form, the power of attorney, and the application fee in the form of a money order, cashier's check or business check. As of September 2010, the application fee is $100. Submit all materials to:

Missouri Department of Insurance, Financial Institutions & Professional Registration P.O. Box 4001 Jefferson City, MO 65102


If you are applying for a non-resident adjuster license, you must submit a letter of certification from your home state with the application materials.


Prepare well for the examination. You cannot be licensed without a passing score. If you fail the exam, you must wait at least 24 hours before scheduling another one, and you must pay another examination fee.