Empty Office Cubical image by TekinT from Fotolia.com

How to File a Grievance Against Wrongful Termination

Growth Trends for Related Jobs

Getting fired is bad enough, but when you feel you've been let go for personal, vindictive or even discriminatory reasons that have nothing to do with your job performance, the impact is worse. You and your family are deprived of a needed source of income and bills pile up while you're struggling to find work elsewhere. Fortunately, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) protects employees from these circumstances.

Locate the nearest Equal Employment Opportunity Commission office in your area. Each branch office is in charge of several states. See the link in the Resources section for the office overseeing your state.

File a complaint with the EEOC. A link for the complaint process is available on the EEOC website related to your area. Include your name, address and phone number, your employer's name, address and phone number, and a detailed description of how you were fired and what rights you felt were violated.

Mail your complaint to your local EEOC office or present it in person. Remember: You have 180 days from the day you were fired to file a complaint. This time is extended to 300 days if state anti-discriminatory laws have been broken in your case.

Hire a lawyer to represent you. In most cases, you must file a complaint with the EEOC prior to getting a lawyer to establish the legal groundwork. After that, a lawyer can greatly help you navigate the complexity of wrongful termination law.



About the Author

Brooke Julia has been a writer since 2009. Her work has been featured in regional magazines, including "She" and "Hagerstown Magazine," as well as national magazines, including "Pregnancy & Newborn" and "Fit Pregnancy."

Photo Credits

  • Empty Office Cubical image by TekinT from Fotolia.com