Growth Trends for Related Jobs
Sales Consultant Job Description
There are sales consultant jobs in nearly every niche of business, as the very word business suggests that there is a product or service to sell. Sales consultants are responsible for generating sales, which is usually done through direct contact with customers or clients. Depending on the business, the contact may be done through cold calling or generated leads.
Good people skills are arguably the most important quality that you can have as a sales consultant, as these professionals interact directly with customers and clients on a daily basis, and are often the only faces and personalities customers have to associate with a product or service. Sales consultants are responsible for building lasting relationships with customers to ensure their loyalty to the company, and must handle any questions or negotiations that may arise. They may also be responsible for handling customer complaints.
Product and Market Knowledge
A good sales consultant is always learning; product development rarely ceases, so it is important to know all the latest development and upcoming offerings that the company may have. Knowing as much as possible about the products they sell can help them explain the benefits and inspire confidence in consumers. They must also be knowledgeable about their target customers, as wasting time trying to sell to people who are not likely to want or need the product or service takes time away from successful sales. Another thing these consultants might need to know about is their competition; staying abreast of market trends and competitors' products can help them devise a more successful sales strategy.
Sales consultants are often given specific sales targets by their employers, and as such they must be very driven to reach those goals. They must devise a script or sales strategy, decide how best to contact customers, and then implement that plan. For some companies, this may include scheduling appointments to demonstrate a product. Some sales consultants must also place orders for customers, maintain sales logs and other paperwork, and handle inventory duties. Employers expect sales consultants to do all of this while successfully selling, so motivation and the ability to multitask is important.
Many sales consultant jobs require nothing more than a high school diploma, but some require a bachelor's degree in business-related field, such as marketing, finance or communications. However, moving up to management from this position likely requires a higher degree. Many companies also require additional training courses to ensure that consultants are properly educated about their product or service. This training may be paid or unpaid depending on the organization, and the training may be ongoing throughout a consultant's time with the company. Experience in a related field can be just as important as education, because there are sales consultants in nearly every field.
Sales Consultants Employment and Labor Information 2023
Sales Consultants Employment Brief:
Sell or solicit advertising space, time, or media in publications, signage, TV, radio, or Internet establishments or public spaces.
Sales Consultants Job Description
Here is a Job Description an employer might post for potential Sales Consultants.
Sales Consultants Responsibilities and Duties:
- Obtain and study information about clients' products, needs, problems, advertising history, and business practices to offer effective sales presentations and appropriate product assistance.
- Prepare promotional plans, sales literature, media kits, and sales contracts, using computer.
- Write copy as part of layout.
- Attend sales meetings, industry trade shows, and training seminars to gather information, promote products, expand network of contacts, and increase knowledge.
- Gather all relevant material for bid processes, and coordinate bidding and contract approval.
- Recommend appropriate sizes and formats for advertising, depending on medium used.
- Draw up contracts for advertising work, and collect payments due.
- Determine advertising medium to be used, and prepare sample advertisements within the selected medium for presentation to customers.
- Explain to customers how specific types of advertising will help promote their products or services in the most effective way possible.
- Arrange for commercial taping sessions, and accompany clients to sessions.
Typical Daily Tasks of Sales Consultants:
- Selling or Influencing Others: Contact current or potential customers to promote products or services. Deliver promotional presentations to current or prospective customers. Distribute promotional literature or samples to customers.
- Communicating with People Outside the Organization.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships: Develop professional relationships or networks.
- Thinking Creatively: Develop content for sales presentations or other materials. Develop marketing plans or strategies.
- Performing for or Working Directly with the Public.
- Getting Information: Gather customer or product information to determine customer needs.
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work.
- Working with Computers.
- Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others: Negotiate sales or lease agreements for products or services.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates.
Sales Consultants Skills and Requirements:
- Operations Analysis Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Complex Problem Solving Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Installation Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- DatabasesUsing a computer application to manage large amounts of information, including creating and editing simple databases, inputting data, retrieving specific records, and creating reports to communicate the information.
- Coordination Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Instructing Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Word ProcessingUsing a computer application to type text, insert pictures, format, edit, print, save, and retrieve word processing documents.
Sales Consultants Salary and Wages:
Average Salary: 58,450. Education: typical education requirements include High school diploma or equivalent.
Data from May 2023 courtesy of U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wage Statistics (OEWS) program.
Harlow Keith has been involved in the human resources sector since 1998. He founded a human resources training company and has written several published articles. Harlow became interested in his field at the tender age of 15 while editing his father's resume.